Sunday, March 11, 2018

On abolitionist vegans "forcing" others

I brought up human animals in my last post for this concept continuation here.. inspired again by a facebook post...
Oh, Facebook.
It's easier to understand violence against humans as human animals because we more easily empathize with violence against ourselves. It's a matter of perspective. Race, gender, and sexuality are much easier to internalize than the suffering of, say, rats.. bc we use concepts like race, gender, and sexuality to identify ourselves. It's personal.
My friend made a statement wherein she noted "I just can't empathize w the people who feel so strongly about their choices that they try to force them on everyone else." I find this incredibly telling.
This would describe the way some spoke/still speak about slavery abolition, the women's rights movement, recognition of transgender folks, BLM, etc... they were/are all philosophical movements that non-oppressed folks tried to explain as "forced" on them when seeing the issues as outside themselves. But for any person self-identfied in one of those groups, it's always phrased radically different than force... Why?
The problem these issues all shared is that we historically always made them about us, the privileged, not them the opressed. Our jobs, not immigrant lives... our morality, not trans kids lives... our cheap labor, not slaves free lives.. our economy, not poor folks healthcare.. it's always me, me, me.. never them.
I'd argue that vegan abolitionists aren't "forcing" anything on any of us in the slightest... the only real force is the steel bars and fences physically holding hundreds of millions of sentient lives in perpetual slavery.

No comments: